At Con-way Truckload, we’ve always placed great emphasis on the health and well-being of our employees. We’re very aware of the dietary challenges faced by OTR drivers and we strive to offer programs and advice that help them make the healthiest possible choices. Often, eating on the road is more about convenience than anything else and it’s easy to pick up a lot of bad habits. We want to help eliminate these habits by offering a range of wellness opportunities.
Many of Con-way’s terminals feature walking trails and gyms onsite. We offer employee discounts on gym memberships and our cafeterias provide fresh salad bars and healthy meal options. We also make sure to have several publications for healthy lifestyle choices available in our monthly magazines and online.
We also recently wrapped up our annual Biggest Loser competition during which Con-way Truckload employees are encouraged to drop pounds and increase their awareness of healthy diet and exercise routines.
Most people are aware that maintaining a healthy weight helps control high blood pressure and high cholesterol and reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. But did you know it could also reduce the risks of developing certain forms of cancer, relieve back and joint tension, reduce risks of osteoporosis and anemia and optimize your immune system?
Losing weight doesn’t have to be all drudgery and sacrifice either. You can still enjoy your favorite foods in moderation. Studies show that a slow, modest pace of weight loss — 1 to 2 pounds per week — is reasonable, safe and more likely to help you keep the weight off. It also gives you more time to adjust to your new, healthier lifestyle that is easily summed up this way — eat well and exercise.
If you’re carrying around a few more pounds than you’d like, talk to your doctor or see a nutritionist. They can help you get started on a healthy action plan. You’ll look better, feel better and enjoy higher energy levels and self-esteem.
To share your weight-loss journey, or your journey to maintain a healthy weight, join the conversation on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ConwayTruckload.
A special “Congratulations” to the winners of our Biggest Loser competition! Below is a list of our “Biggest Losers” and their prizes!
- 1st Place - Carol Millard - 1 week off with pay
- 1st Place - Mark Ryan - 1 week off with pay
- 2nd Place - Tiffany Hayworth - $200 Visa gift card
- 2nd Place - Robert Long - $200 Visa gift card
- 3rd Place - Audrey Ferguson - $100 Visa gift card
- 3rd Place - Michael Walker - $100 Visa gift card
- 1st Place - Don Parmenter, Audrey Ferguson, Joyce Cornwall, Mark Ryan – 1 week off with pay (each)
- 2nd Place - Tiffany Hayworth, Crystal Noel, Araceli Gomez, Michael Walker - $100 Visa gift card (each)
- 3rd Place - Eric Smith, Carol Millard, Debra Osborn, Drew Patterson - $50 Visa gift card (each)
- 1st Place - Michelle Cross - 1 week off with pay
- 1st Place - Kenny Holland - 1 week off with pay
- 2nd Place - Jennifer Cavalier - $200 Visa gift card
- 2nd Place - Randall Strawser - $200 Visa gift card
- 3rd Place - Tammy Hopkins - $100 Visa gift card
- 3rd Place - Roy Hagen - $100 Visa gift card
Thank you to all of our participants and congratulations to our winners!