Pressure cookers are an excellent option for your on-the-road food cravings. The device wears many hats; it can slow cook, pressure cook, steam, keep food warm and even sauté vegetables. You can typically find a great pressure cooker for less than $100, and Con-way Truckload driver, Chris Karboski highly recommends purchasing one for inside your cab.
“You can cook a great meal during a 30 minute break,” he says.
Below is a delicious and easy recipe, courtesy of Chris and his wife Yvonne. Yvonne rides along with Chris when he is on the road and the couple swears by this hearty pot roast when they are craving a home-style meal.
You will need:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 (3 pound) beef chuck roast
1 large onion, diced
1 (1 ounce) package Italian dressing mix
1 (1 ounce) package Ranch dressing mix
1 (1.2 ounce) package low-sodium brown gravy mix
1 (14.5 ounce) can low-sodium beef broth
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker over medium-high heat with the lid open.
- Brown the roast on all sides in the hot oil.
- In a small cup or bowl, mix together the Italian salad dressing mix, Ranch dressing mix, and gravy mix.
- Sprinkle them evenly over the roast. Pour in the beef broth and add the chopped onion.
- Seal and lock pressure cooker, and cook over high heat to build pressure until the indicator sounds.
- Turn heat down to medium, and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH & BRUSSEL SPROUTS
You will need:
1 whole squash peeled 1" cubed 1 package of Brussels sprouts
1 large sweet onion or more
1/8 cup olive oil
Fresh garlic cloves to taste
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Sprinkle cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix olive oil with spices in a small bowl.
- Quarter and separate the onion.
- Mix all ingredients in the cooker and stir until the squash and sprouts are covered in the oil mixture.
- Bake vegetables at 425° for 25 min or until cooked thoroughly.