Let’s face it – this time of year is all about deliciously rich desserts. From holiday cookies to assorted pies, it’s tough to stay healthy when you’re surrounded by tasty, calorie-filled treats. The following recipe helps solve that problem. Introducing Festive Baked Pears, a dessert that is easy to make and lets you have your dessert and eat it too!
- 2 large Bosc pears
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or dried mixed fruit (such as Sun-Maid Fruit Bits)
- 1/4 cup low-fat granola
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup vanilla low-fat frozen yogurt, divided into 4 small scoops
- Peel pears and cut them in half lengthwise.
- Use a melon baller or grapefruit spoon to remove the cores and seeds.
- Place pear halves, with cut sides up, in a glass pie plate.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; sprinkle evenly over pears.
- Combine cranberries and granola in another small bowl.
- Scoop the mixture into hollows of the pear halves.
- Pour the apple juice in and around pear halves and cover the dish loosely with wax paper.
- Cook the pears in microwave on HIGH 6-8 minutes or until the pears are tender when pierced with a knife.
- Let stand in the dish 5 minutes, and then use a large slotted spoon to transfer the pears to serving plates.
- Drizzle the leftover juice in pie plate over pears and serve them with frozen yogurt.
This recipe will take you only five minutes to make, and promises to impress while satisfying your holiday sweet tooth!