This weekend is a time for everyone across the country to attend a barbeque and enjoy fireworks to celebrate Independence Day. For some of us, however, duty still calls and we need to be out on the road during the celebrations. However, that doesn’t mean you need to miss out on the delicious barbeque–style foods that make the holiday so delicious. Below is a recipe for grilled turkey burgers (a healthy alternative to red meat) and a patriotic chickpea salad that is easy to make in your cab over the holiday weekend. Enjoy!
You will need a George Forman (or equivalent) Grill
- 1lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Whole grain hamburger bun
- Toppings (Think healthy! Avocado, lettuce, tomato, etc.)
Preheat your in-cab grill on “high” for at least 5 minutes..
Combine turkey, parsley, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce and salt to taste in a bowl and mix well with your hands. Form mixture into four, quarter-inch patties.
Place the patties on your grill and close the cover. Cook for 5-8 minutes, but be sure to check on them after about 4 minutes. Serve on whole wheat buns with your favorite toppings!
- - - - - -
Summer Chickpea Salad
- 2 (19 ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed
- 1 pint small cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons finely shredded basil leaves
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 large cloves minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Toss chickpeas, tomatoes, feta cheese, and basil together in a large mixing bowl.
Put honey in a small glass bowl and heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir garlic, red wine vinegar, cider vinegar, olive oil, black pepper, cayenne pepper and salt in with the honey to make a dressing.
Pour the dressing over the chickpea salad and toss to coat.
Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate salad for 1 hour before serving.
- - - - - -
Thank you for staying safe and have a Happy 4th of July!
Leave Your Comment
Many desktop publish packages web page editors now use model text
search for sites their infancy.